KHRC revised its mission to ‘Working towards a human rights state and society.’ This reflects KHRC’s focus on horizontal as well as vertical human rights demands. The KHRC is redefining its work though the transitional period from the old Constitution to the new Constitutional dispensation over the next couple of years and will focus its work to:
- Build state institutions and to act as a guardian to the implementation of the Constitution of Kenya 2010;
- Ensure that devolution is a positively transformational component of the Constitution of Kenya 2010;
- Provide comparative experience, Bills and legislative drafting and training for duty bearers;
- Advise on proposed vetting procedures for constitutional offices and monitor implementation;
- Litigate on areas that will ensure progressive interpretation of the constitution; and,
- Address deprivation and meeting of basic needs under Economic Social and Cultural Rights (ESCRs) and exclusion under Equality and antidiscrimination.