Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC) is seeking to hire a Program Advisor, Public Finance Management under its Identity & Inclusion program.
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:
The Program Advisor, Public Finance Management supports and reports to the Program Manager, Identity & Inclusion. The position contributes and works towards the achievement of KHRC’s vision, mission and strategic action by fostering transparency, accountability and public participation in public finance. The position liaises with all staff and requires professional discretion and a solution-oriented approach at all times. This is a position on a two (2) year renewable contract subject to performance and funding.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop political consciousness and awareness among the citizenry around pubic finance management at both county and national levels.
- Develop and deploy appropriate social accountability tools and mechanisms at the national and county levels e.g. the Use of the 10-point Model County Award Scheme.
- Conduct and publish topical studies around the diverse issues1 around public finance management. Also monitor and respond continuously on suspected mismanagements.
- Develop and disseminate simplified versions of the auditor general’s report, policy briefs among the citizens and government officials.
- Strengthen partnerships and engagements with communities and stakeholders within the public finance management chain at all levels.
- Undertake legal, policy and institutional reforms towards strengthening public finance accountability2. Lead policy research and advocacy in safeguarding devolution within the select counties and issues in the country.
- Integrate public finance management and devolution principles and mechanisms in all the interventions of the KHRC.
- Undertake public interest litigation to address situations where the laws and principles of public finance management and devolved governance are ignored or violated.
- Representing KHRC in all its advocacy networks and spaces at all levels
- Establishing and maintaining a database of relevant contacts within areas of intervention related to KHRC’s human rights work
- Designing and implementing Citizenship and statelessness projects that fit to KHRC’s human rights work
- Developing and sustaining strategic partnerships with relevant state and non-state actors
- Engaging in resource mobilisation by providing key support in preparation of funding proposals, budgets, monitoring grants and reporting to relevant donor(s) while ensuring growth and sustainability of KHRC’s work
- Preparing in a timely manner all periodic narrative and financial reports for both donor and internal reporting
- Supervising researchers, interns, consultants and any other staff assigned to undertake work within the program
- Supporting other KHRC programs and departments regarding their interventions to maximize results and impact when assigned.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences preferably International Relations, Political Science or Law A minimum of 4 years’ experience in the area of governance and public finance management
- Professional qualification and experience in project management will be an added advantage Demonstrable engagement with Citizenship and statelessness processes at all levels
- Demonstrable research experience and editorial of complex reports
- Experience in working with poor and rural communities and the use of Kiswahili language
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to detail in order to produce high quality output Proven experience in policy advocacy
- Proficiency in use of MS Office Suite packages and experience in use of SPSS
The position requires an individual who:
- Is passionate and committed to human rights including respect for diversity, integrity and transparency Has strong interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills and ability to work in a team oriented and collaborative environment
- Has excellent listening and communication skills
- Results-driven, flexible, analytical and a practical problem solver
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities Has proven ability to conduct research and write high quality reports
- Is Self-motivated, organized, collegial and able to work well under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines
- Is willing to take initiative, plan, organize, coordinate and work independently with minimal supervision Is able to maintain confidentiality, tact, empathy and discretion when dealing with people
Applications received will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and shortlisted applicants should be ready for an immediate interview.
KHRC is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within the organization and will seek to recruit the most qualified person for the job irrespective of race, colour, marital status, ethnicity, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification. Only successful candidates will be contacted